Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2046


Blurb: "A Hong Kong writer finds inspiration from the women he's encountered is his past in this futuristic story of love and memory from Wong Kar Wai, who continues the story he began in his acclaimed masterpiece In the Mood for Love. Remembering back to the early 1960's, when he lived in the Oriental Hotel in Hong Kong, Chow writes an erotic story that begins with a mysterious woman who lived in room 2046. Chow moves into room 2047 and begins an affair with a beautiful prostitute who now rents the mysterious woman's room. As he writes his story, which he sets in the future in the year 2046, Chow tells of a place where people travel to recapture lost memories; he is the first one to return."

Notables: Winner of 6 Hong Kong film awards, nominee in the Golden Palm Cannes Film Festival, starring Tony Leung (Hero) and Ziyi Zhang (Memoirs of a Geisha)

My thoughts: 4/5 This film is great if you enjoy beautiful imagery, scenery, and art direction in general. Several of the screenshots are equivalent to oil paintings. But if you're looking for something fast-paced, this is not for you. 2046 deals with the complexities of human love and the fears of being alone, as well as learning to let go of the past in order to embrace the future. Tony Leung and Ziyi Zhang, as well as their fellow actresses and actors (Gong Li and Faye Wong, to name a couple) provide superb acting in portraying multi-faceted characters that you grow to love, loathe, and relate to.
Overall, I give 2046 a 4/5, mostly because in a few places it lacks a bit of clarity--as well as being almost draggy in places. But really, it all depends on what you're looking for. It's worth the watch, and can be located at Blockbuster on Glenstone in the foreign section. Be forewarned it is one of the few foreign films in America that has not been dubbed over! The languages are Cantonese and Japanese, with English or Spanish subtitles. However, the subtitles are very well done.

4 comments:

  1. I honestly haven't watched many foreign films in my lifetime, but I think I need to start. I'm a big comedy buff, but maybe it would do me some good to watch something with a little more culture to it. Good information, and I look forward to your next reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ziyi Zhang was great in Geisha...this sounds really interesting! I'd love to see some photos if you are able to locate some out there on the 'Net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this movie and saw some blurbs on it, but I never got around to seeing it. Now I think I might check it out! I'm excited that you're focusing on foreign films, because while I love movies, sometimes it's difficult to find those under-the-radar flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, Meg! I always prefer subtitles over dubbing myself.

    Millie, you need not sacrifice comedy to enjoy culture! I think of Tampopo, a Japanese comedy/culture tour and one of the funniest movies I have seen. Not to take the focus away from this film; it certainly sounds like something I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete