Monday, May 4, 2009

La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)


Blurb: Set in late 1930's Arezzo, Italy, Jewish poet Guido Orefice uses his wit and charm to win the heart of schoolteacher Dora. Their fairy tale romance ends in marriage, and produces their wide-eyed son Giosue. When Giosue's fifth birthday comes around, the happy family's party preparations are interrupted when the Nazi's arrest them and transport them to a concentration camp. Throughout their stay in the camp, Guido must use his gift of wit to protect his son from the horrible cruelties of Nazi-Germany. (I did this one... hope it doesn't suck)

Notables: won 3 Oscars in 1999 for best actor, best foreign language film, and best musical score. Nominated for 27 other awards and won 56 (imdb.com)

My thoughts: 4/5
I'm only giving it a 4 because I honestly can't remember this film very well. I watched it several years ago, in the English dub, and have only seen it a handful of times.
From what I can remember, however, this one is a heart-wrencher. The beginning is extremely endearing and hilarious, and makes both Guido and Dora characters to love. But after the Nazi's move in... well, as history has shown, everything goes to hell. The father-son dynamic is something almost anyone can relate to, and the acting is superb. I have never seen the original Italian, but I would suggest watching it in that format. Solely because the language is beautiful, and I remember the dub being very off from the mouth-movements of the actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment